Alchemy is a primary profession that mixes herbs found by Herbalism and sometimes other reagents to generate elixirs, potions, oils, flasks and cauldrons with a variety of effects, as well as transmute minerals, gems, and elementals. Concoctions can be made to restore health and mana, grant temporary invisibility, grant temporary good luck through treasure finding, temporarily change appearance, temporarily improve statistics, and much more.
Alchemy is useful to all character classes. Melee fighters can use alchemy to create buff and healing potions. Spell casting classes can use alchemy to create mana potions and related buffs. Players can create potions, sell them to others, or give them to their party members and friends. Alchemists are well loved when they hand out potions.
Horde Alchemy Trainers
- Miao'zan: Durotar, around 55,74.
- Yelmak: Orgrimmar, around 57,33.
- Bena Winterhoof: Thunder Bluff, around 39,24.
- Carolai Anise: Tirisfal Glades, around 59,52.
- Doctor Herbert Halsey: Undercity, around 48,73.
- Serge Hinott: Hillsbrad Foothills, around 62,19.
- Rogvar: Swamp of Sorrows, around 49,56.
Alliance Alchemy Trainers
- Ghak Healtouch: Loch Modan, around 37,49.
- Tally Berryfizz: Ironforge, around 67,56.
- Alchemist Mallory: Elwynn Forest, around 40,48.
- Lilyssia Nightbreeze: Stormwind City, around 46,80.
- Kylanna: Ashenvale, around 51,67.
- Cyndra Kindwhisper: Teldrassil, around 58,61.
- Ainethil: Darnassus, around 55,24.
- Kylanna Windwhisper: Feralas, around 33,44.
|Apprentice||5||1 - 75|
|Journeyman||10||50 - 150|
|Expert||20||125 - 225|
|Artisan||35||200 - 300|
|Master||50||1 - 75 The Burning Crusade|
|Grand Master||65||1 - 75 Wrath of the Lich King|
|Illustrious Grand Master||75||1 - 75 Cataclysm|
|Zen Master||-||1 - 75 Mists of Pandaria|
|Draenor Master||-||1 - 100 Warlords of Draenor|
|Legion Master||-||1 - 100 Legion|
|Kul Tiran / Zandalari %||-||1 - 175 Battle for Azeroth|
Alchemy allows you to create some of the most popular and powerful consumables in WoW.
Potions, such as Free Action Potion Icon Free Action Potion or Major Healing Potion Icon Major Healing Potion, grant you many different sorts of benefits instantly, and have a very short duration, if they have a duration at all.
- Minor Healing Potion
- Weak Troll's Blood Potion
- Minor Mana Potion
- Minor Rejuvenation Potion
- Lesser Healing Potion
- Swim Speed Potion
- Healing Potion
- Lesser Mana Potion
- Strong Troll's Blood Potion
- Greater Healing Potion
- Mana Potion
- Lesser Invisibility Potion is great when sneaking around, or to lose pursuers
- Greater Mana Potion
- Superior Healing Potion
- Dreamless Sleep Potion
Elixirs, such as Greater Arcane Elixir, typically grant you a powerful stat buff for a prolonged amount of time. If you die, you lose this buff, however.
- Elixir of Lion's Strength
- Elixir of Minor Defense
- Elixir of Minor Fortitude
- Elixir of Wisdom
- Elixir of Water Breathing
- Elixir of Defense
- Elixir of Firepower
- Elixir of Agility
- Elixir of Greater Defense
- Catseye Elixir
- Elixir of Greater Water Breathing
- Elixir of Detect Undead
- Arcane Elixir
- Elixir of Greater Intellect
- Elixir of Greater Agility
- Elixir of Detect Demon
Oils, such as Blackmouth Oil, are used as raw materials for other crafts, such as the aforementioned Free Action Potion, and usually made from fish.
- Blackmouth Oil is an important component in the Free Action Potion craft.
- Fire Oil is required in order to make Elixir of Greater Firepower.
- Oil of Immolation can be used to add a bit of extra area of effect damage in a fight.
- Stonescale Oil is used to create the mighty Flask of the Titans.
- Shadow Oil gives you a small damage proc when consumed. More importantly, it is used to create Greater Shadow Protection Potion, which is an important consumable for Loatheb, once Naxxramas comes out.
Flasks, such as Flask of Supreme Power, work similarly to elixirs, but last longer, persist through death, have bigger effects, and are extremely expensive, due to requiring a lot of materials and one Black Lotus each. They also require an Alchemy Lab to create, such as Ras Frostwhisper's room in Scholomance.
Transmutes, such as Transmute: Arcanite: Arcanite, allow you to convert raw materials into different, much rarer, raw materials. Using the transmute mentioned as an example, the resulting Arcanite Bar is used to craft the best gear, and is involved in many of the steps necessary to obtain Sulfuras, Hand of Ragnaros, Hand of Ragnaros and Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker!
Almost all of Alchemy's items are consumed when used. The profession mostly requires herbs and fish, such as Stonescale Eel, to craft. It is expensive to level and maintain it through the Auction House alone, so pairing it with Herbalism and Fishing is very beneficial, allowing you to farm some of the materials yourself.