The Dreadbox Abyss 4 Voice Polyphonic Synthesizer features five global modes with four individual analog voices, based on the same oscillators used across the Dreadbox range. The four voices are comprised from one oscillator and one sub oscillator per voice, with a rotary knob that allows you to blend between waveforms for added versatility. The Dreadbox Abyss VCO section includes detuning and vibrato modulation, as well as a polyphonic glide slider to smooth envelope transitions between notes. The VCF (voltage controlled filter) is based on the renowned Dreadbox Murmux Synthesizer, including a 24 dB/Oct,and a four pole resonating low pass filter. There are also three built-in effect stages as well as independent LFO's that can be assigned to these effects. With its wide-range of in-depth controls, the Dreadbox Abyss is ideal for creating sounds from cutting-ending leads, to lo-fi basslines and more.
4-Voice Polyphonic Synthesizer
The Dreadbox Abyss 4 Voice Polyphonic Synthesizer features all-discrete analog component for capturing the warmth and grit associated with analog circuitry. The four individual voices are comprised of one oscillator and one sub oscillator per voice for ultimate control. The four global play modes include Multi for one voice per MIDI channel, Unison and all voice together. The polyphonic design allows you to play multiple notes together, allowing you to play chords and more. The built-in ‘Chord Mode’ enables you to hit a root key and have it play a chord of the four voices with a selectable rotary switch. A clever rotary knob allows you to blend between waveforms for added versatility when it comes to creating sounds.
VCO Section & Voltage Controlled Filter
The Dreadbox Abyss features a VCO section which includes detuning and vibrato modulation controls, as well as a polyphonic glide slider that will add a smooth envelope transition between notes. A modulator on the VCO also includes independent rate and depth controls for creating lo-fi sounds and more. The Voltage Controlled Filter (VCF) is borrowed from the classic Dreadbox Murmux Synthesizer featuring a 24 dB/Octave, 4 pole resonating low pass filter. The filter can also be used as a digital ADSR envelope generator, allowing you to further shape the sound of the filter. Also featured is a dedicated Voltage Controlled Amplifier with digital ADSR envelope generator, allowing you to create snappy sounds such as percussion and more. In addition, this unit also includes an OTA drive circuit knob for suturing the amplifier.
The Dreadbox Abyss also includes three dedicated effects stages. Two independent LFOs can be assigned to any of the time-based effects with both independent rate and 4 x LFO waveforms to choose from. The Abyss features a 1024 BBD reflect effect, designed for chorus/phaser and flanger type effects, ideal for adding a new dynamic to your sounds. A lo-fi delay effects is also included, borrowed from the Dreadbox Erebus synthesizer as well as a four-stage analog phase shifter. The OTA Drive circuity and four modulation wheel choices provide added modulation for changing depth, rate and more. For added convenience, the effects can all be controlled via CV, perfect for using the Abyss for music production.
Design & Connectivity
The compact yet robust design of the Dreadbox Abyss Synthesizer makes it ideal for live and studio use. Its aluminium case and highly durable design makes it a synthesizer that is built to stand the test of time. With its all-discrete analog design and white noise generator, the Dreadbox Abyss gives you an unprecedented amount of control when it comes to creating your own sounds. The rear of the Abyss features MIDI through and In connections as well as CV inputs for Phaser, Delay, Reflect and Cutoff for optimal control. Also included are Main Out, Dry Out and Signal In inputs. The OTA Drive circuity and four modulation wheel choices provide added modulation for changing depth, rate and more.
- 4 Voice Analog Synthesizer
- All Analog Discrete Components
- 4 playing modes including Unison, Polyphony, Chords (+ user chords) and multi-channel (multitimbral over selected controls)
- 1 VCO + 1 Sub Oscillator per Voice
- White Noise Generator
- Independent Wave shaping Modulator
- Polyphonic Glide function
- 4 independent LFOs (1 for each voice) to control Vibrato
- Variable Speed Depth and Delay
- Vibratos and Glide can be set out of phase via the Detune (Vibrato) control
- VCO autotune function
- 24 dB/oct 4-pole Resonating Low Pass Filter (based on the Murmux series)
- Dedicated ADSR Envelope Generator to the Filter
- Velocity sensitivity over the EG Attack Rate or the EG Level
- Dedicated ADSR Envelope Generator to the VCA
- OTA Drive circuit
- Reflector: 1024 BBD Delay for Chorus/Flanger or Static Flangers
- Hybrid Delay Circuit as found on the Erebus
- 4-stage Analog Phase Shifter
- 2 Analog LFOs with 4 waves each to control the Filter, Reflector, Delay, Phaser
- 4 Modulation Wheel Choices
- Fine Tune Control
- CV Control over Filter, Phaser, Delay and Reflector
- Dry output (without effects)
- Signal Input ( at the effect stage)
- Midi In / Midi Through
- Aluminium Case